Sunday, December 21, 2008

Bad Mommy


Pretty, isn't it? Well, it should be considering Beau and I spent over 2 hours on it! Here's some important information that I need to get out there, so I can better hold myself accountable next year...
...I'm a control freak! There, I said it! Not only was this not a fun project for me, I'm pretty sure it wasn't quite the fun that Beau had imagined it would be, either.
Beau: Mom, can I unwrap the gingerbread pieces from the plastic they're in?
Me: No, I'm not sure how easily they might break, so you better just let me do it, ok?
...
Beau: Mom, can I do the frosting?
Me: Um, probably not, it's pretty messy and we need to get this part done quickly so we can move on.
...
Beau: I think I might like this kind of candy, can I have a piece?
Me: Well, we need to see how much of the candy we need for the house first. If there's any left, you can have some of that. We don't want to run out before we're finished. (The horror!!)
...
Me: No, no, Beau...put the red one here, and the green one over here, right. where. I'm. pointing.
Beau: Like this, Mommy?
Me: Yep, just like that. (As I adjust his piece of candy, ever so slightly.) *hangs head in shame*
And so on and so on...I think you get the gist, though. Poor Beau, huh? I just couldn't help myself. It had to be perfect, or why do it? I KNOW, I KNOW!!! We do it for our CHILDREN!
Soooo, next year, I have vowed to buy both Beau and Luke (Beth will still be too young) their own gingerbread houses and let them "have at it"!! No, really, I will!! I don't want to be that mom who's always correcting her children and giving them a complex or a feeling of being incapable of doing anything "right". Yes, I may know a little bit about how my actions will likely make them feel. Bless my mom, she meant well. :) Live and learn, I guess.
Next year, I'll be sure to post pictures of Tom holding me down in the other room while the boys create their masterpieces! :)


5 comments:

Faith said...

It happens. I completely understand your "control freak" nature, as I have it myself all too often. If you want inspiration on letting the children do their thing (& having fun eating it anyway - yum), check out this post. http://faithofallcrafts.blogspot.com/2008/12/gingerbread-capitol.html

Special K said...

My husband thinks I'm a goof because I'm laughing out loud. We so did the SAME house last year, compliments of MIL. Costco? I avoided. Drank some wine. Then attempted. I so hear you. I'm not a control freak, I'm more free-spirit, let the kids paint wiht pudding, but this one got my goat. I got annoyed that they wanted to eat the candy. And I wanted to make the frosting go into the swoops like you did. And geesh, they give you a ziplock to draw with, what 2 or 4 year old can handle that?!?!!

Thanks for the laugh. Enjoy the yucky candy. And next year, I'm making gingerbread out of graham cracker houses. This year we avoided it altogether.

Special K said...

Oh, and my husband tells me I can go out to Arizona in the Spring. I'll probably bring Sylvie and maybe Logan. I have some friends and an aunt/uncle's condo to use. Pheonix. Are you nearby? Can you make to it my "to visit" list?

Kristi said...

Hi, Kristin! Glad I could provide some laughs for you! :) And, yes, Costco. I'll be contacting them about compensation for my children's pain and suffering. -- I would love to visit with you and your littles when you come. I live in north Phoenix, so I'll likely not be too far from where you'll be staying. Yay! Let me know the details when your visit gets closer.

Doni Brinkman said...

Um...maybe you should just go ahead and send your kids to public school (LOL!) Love you.