Thursday, June 5, 2008

Farewell, Tishy!!!

A couple of nights ago I walked across my kitchen to give our family pet, Tishy, a few morsels of food before bed. To my surprise, this is what I found...



Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not much of an animal lover, yet oddly, I felt a little sad at Tishy's demise. And then I got over it! :) My only concern was how Beau might react and how I was to tell him. Do fish go to Heaven? Do we flush him? Bury him?

Well, after procrastinating for over TWO days I decided to bite the bullet and tell Beau. The dead fish in my kitchen was starting to creep me out!

Me: "Hey, Beau, I've got to tell you something."

Beau: "Yeah."

Me: "Tishy has died."

Beau: "Oh, let me see!" (said with a giddiness that unnerved me)

I lift him up to take a look at Tishy on the counter.

Beau: "Mom, why did he die?"

Me: "Well, fish don't live very long lives, and he was getting pretty old. It was just his time to go. We had him for a really long time, huh? Maybe we'll get another fish some day."

Beau: "Are you sure it's not because we didn't feed him?"

Beau traipses off to the living room to play. Tra-la-la!!

Hmmm...I guess I was worried for nothing.

3 comments:

C. Beth said...

LOL! I kept thinking about you, hoping the "big talk" went well. If only we could all be so resilient!

Bye bye, Tishy!

Doni Brinkman said...

Tanne wasn't all that moved when his fish died when he was little. The fish I wanted to name Nemo and he insisted was Shrek. :)

Bri said...

LMAO! I laughed so loud reading his comment... kids! Always surprising us.